Welcome to Bangladesh!

This blog represents a chronicle of my travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh that began on July 28, 2010 from St. Peter, Minnesota. I retired from thirty years of teaching to begin a new career in Bangladesh. This is my diary.

Friday, November 12, 2010

November Eid: The Animal Slaughtering Time

This man is one of many hoping to sell oxen as Eid approaches. 

Setting up residence with the prized oxen

Can you see the head of the ox at the front of the truck as it approaches market?

As the November Eid approaches, animals of all kinds arrive in Dhaka to be sold.  Muslim tradition holds that on a particular day and time, animals are slaughtered and butchered.  Meat is shared with family, friends, and the poor.  My neighbor told me that on Eid morning last year she was awakened by a repetitive, clanging sound on the street.  She looked out her bedroom window to find the butchering in progress.  Seeing all the animals at the market reminds me of the county fair.  There is an obvious difference, though, and I am glad that I will be out of Dhaka when the killing begins. 

Cows, oxen, and even camels can be found in homeowners' garages now as Eid draws near.  Such an interesting time of year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment