Welcome to Bangladesh!

This blog represents a chronicle of my travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh that began on July 28, 2010 from St. Peter, Minnesota. I retired from thirty years of teaching to begin a new career in Bangladesh. This is my diary.

Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27, 2010

Dear friends,

I am missing my family and friends back home.  I was sick all day, wondering if I should reach for that antibiotic that my travel doctor told me to take if I needed it.  Then something sparkling in two different shades of blue caught my eye through the hazy netting over my bed...the Swedish birds from home. I'm so glad I packed them.  My mom gave me the dark blue one,  Tatiana the littlest one, and I bought the other.  They remind me of home.  I put the antibiotic back in the drawer and decided once more to be brave.

More notes from the bed:  Sometime in the late afternoon someone sings/calls out from the mosque into some sort of sound magnification system a call to prayer.  All hammers stop pounding in the construction site.  All is quiet.  The same thing happens when the specific time comes for the fasting faithful to eat and drink water.  Again, all is completely silent and the streets are bare. 

Happy birthday to my littlest grandson and happy tenth anniversary to his wonderful mom and dad.

Love and thanks to you all for giving me strength,
Karen

2 comments:

  1. I have the same blue birds and yes they are nice reminders... I have a question about the time of prayer and fasting faithful times...... what is done if this happens during class? Do you have to stop everything, as well? So you aren't feeling well.... I'm so sorry to hear that. That's not fun. I can imagine your feelings about missing home is something like a freshman in college may experience??? I hope your transition will settle in and you can be at peace with your new adventures. You're a lot braver than I could ever be. We are still awaiting the start of school. Soon the boys will have a chance to meet their teachers and drop off their supplies. Then once school begins, it starts another chapter for me... I become their tutor once they arrive home after the school day. DJ & Nici return home later usually around 6:30-7:00 p.m. so I take care of helping with their homework. We also read books. I enjoy it completely. It's fun to see the kids "catching on" to what we are doing... Need to run so keep the info coming. I like sharing it with the kids. Peace to you Karen, Much love, Lynka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hildur and I send our best wishes and are hoping you feel better soon!
    Diann

    ReplyDelete