Welcome to Bangladesh!

This blog represents a chronicle of my travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh that began on July 28, 2010 from St. Peter, Minnesota. I retired from thirty years of teaching to begin a new career in Bangladesh. This is my diary.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hark Hark the Dogs Do Bark

September 3, 2010

Dear friends and family,                                            

The rest of that familiar line of a nursery rhyme is kind of the truth.  The beggars are in full force right before Eid because the wealthy do come by and give out money.
I was walking home one evening and approached by this family.  We "communicated" for about fifteen minutes and then just burst out laughing and we couldn't stop, all because we knew how silly it was to keep repeating each others' phrases and not really understanding a thing.

Now when I see this same bunch,  laugh.  You just don't know when you give to the poor if the money will go to an organized "mafia" or if it will go to buy food for the family.  A friend from church said to give if the spirit says "Give."

I am off to go shopping with my maid.  It is Saturday and the shops will be crazily busy.

Love you all,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. It still sounds funny to hear you say "my maid"! hahaha I could use your maid right now!! Actually, I am spending the weekend taking care of Tucker and ONLY Tucker. If you've been on FB you will know how much fun we are having. It's nice because Nici & DJ really needed time with just Isaac & kayden before school starts. Tucker is taking steps now. It is so cute. We went for a walk everyday, played with so many things, he helped me in the kitchen (hahaha) but having that time alone is so special. I miss Tatiana so much and think of how much fun we could be having. Well, I hope your weekend went well. Please explain Eid. I've never heard of it. Love & hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete