Welcome to Bangladesh!

This blog represents a chronicle of my travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh that began on July 28, 2010 from St. Peter, Minnesota. I retired from thirty years of teaching to begin a new career in Bangladesh. This is my diary.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

So Many Colors!

Hard Bargaining
September 4, 2010

Hi everyone,

Sonja and I had a fun day shopping for clothes for her Eid festival.  She'll make the six hour trip back to her village to be with her family for Eid next week.

After we found a couple of traditional outfits and sparkly sandals for her, we looked at fabric for curtains in my apartment.  She is the one wearing glasses in the picture.  She talks very confidently with all the salesclerks, not letting them charge me a taka too much for my fabric.  I have to learn how to bargain, but I'm not good at it at all. 

Sonja and the driver are both Muslim and could not drink or eat all day and I was dying of thirst.  They dropped me off at the American Commissary (after a thorough check for explosives in and under the car) and I bought a few groceries and drank some water.  Had to!  I don't know how these people make it all day in the heat without a drop of water.

Anyway, we had a very productive day.  She took me to where she lives in Dhaka, a stark contrast to where I live.  I am thankful for an air conditioned apartment.

Love and hugs,

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Oh Karen, that is what I would LOVE!! The fabric stores. I'm always in 7th heaven in Arcata, well actually I LOVE the one in Trinidad. I had a friend that gave me a piece of fabric from Japan. She showed me how to wear the fabric as pants/shorts. Just a piece of fabric. So cool. I wore the outfit to a wedding dance in WI. and got so many compliments. This was in 1982-83! I'm so jealous of you. It's neat that you can share in all of Sonja's preparations!! Enjoy!! Love & Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete