Welcome to Bangladesh!

This blog represents a chronicle of my travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh that began on July 28, 2010 from St. Peter, Minnesota. I retired from thirty years of teaching to begin a new career in Bangladesh. This is my diary.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

October Holiday: I Stayed Home

October 23, 2010

Dear friends and family,

We have just finished a week's vacation, due to a Hindu holiday.  I have experienced the satisfaction of a well-spent vacation before and the accompanying jitters about facing the real world of work the next day, but nothing compares to this.

It feels as if I have been given a genuine peek into the beautiful  hearts and souls of people of poverty within walking distance of my rather posh neighborhood in Dhaka.  Every day during vacation I would venture out walking to some new place.  One day I climbed some rickety stairs to what appeared to be a beauty salon that sold some homemade clothing.  I had a manicure done on my stubby nails.  It felt good to have both hands in warm, sudsy water even though it was so hot and humid inside the shop that one of the workers had to keep us cool with a huge leaf fan.  I bought a pink sari, played with a baby, and left.  One day I just walked ten blocks and ended up at a green metal door that led to a world completely different from the housing around my school.  I was befriended by a rickshaw driver who bought me lunch...delicious spicy fish, cooked papaya and potatoes, and lots of rice.  He refused to let me pay.  Anyway, I will attach some of my favorite pictures from my day of exploring.

Through the Green Door

A Proud Family

People Working and Playing



Young Woman Waiting for Her School Kids



2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed, Karen. You are really immersing yourself, which is a brave thing to do...in world so far (in many ways) from St. Peter. I love your pictures and living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Karen. I'm sure I would be so scared to walk by myself, discovering another part of the world. I admire you!!!

    ReplyDelete